The patient is admitted to various departments of the hospital through the emergency department. The exceptions are the infectious diseases and maternity department, which have independent admission offices.
The nurse of the emergency department is the first medical officer with whom the patient is admitted for inpatient treatment, therefore often patient’s psychological state depends on the behavior of the nurse.
When talking with the patient, the nurse must be patient, asking questions that are correct in form and tactful in content.
The deontological aspects of the nurse’s behavior of the emergency department imply the quickest delivery of medical care to the patient (call the doctor on duty, consultants, laboratory assistants, quick paperwork, and often emergency care).
When admitting patients there should be no division by social status (businessman or homeless), all patients have the right to get, if necessary, skilled medical care like:
- the device and functions of the emergency department.
- reception unit.
- waiting room – for patients accompanying them. There should be a sufficient number of chairs, telephone help desk.
- the office of the nurse on duty registers incoming patients, the necessary documentation is released.
- inspection rooms – to examine patients by doctors (general practitioner, surgeon, gynecologist).
- procedural unit.
- dressing, small operating room.
- sanitary inspection room – for sanitary treatment of patients (bath, dressing room).
- isolator with private bath – for patients with an unclear diagnosis.
- X-ray room.
- Reception and registration of patients.
- Inspection, initial examination, diagnosis.
- Sanitary-hygienic treatment of newly admitted patients.
- The provision of qualified medical care.
- Transportation of patients to the hospital.
- A nurse listens to the complaints of the patient who arrived and sends him to the doctor on duty.
- He fills anamnesis. Measures the patient’s body temperature. Performs the procedures and manipulations prescribed by the doctor.
- He helps the patient during doctor examination.
- Carries out a call of consultants and laboratory assistants in the reception department according to doctor’s instructions.
- In case of delay of urgent consultants, notifies the on-duty doctor of the emergency department for taking appropriate measures.
- He monitors the condition of patients in the isolation unit and timely fulfills all the instructions of the doctor related to the conduct of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- He timely transmits telephone messages to the police station, active calls to the city clinics, emergency notifications to the State Sanitary and Epidemiological Surveillance about infectious disease.
- He monitors the quality of sanitary treatment of patients, and in some cases, participates in its implementation.
- He carries out feces, urine, vomit for laboratory testing.
- He receives medicines from a doctor and ensures their storage.
- In case of emergency, he gives out medicinal products according to the requirements signed by the doctor on duty at the request of the departments (in those hours when the hospital pharmacy is not working).
- He supervises the sanitary condition in the department and supervises the work of nurses. He does not allow the presence in the office or circulation of unauthorized persons.
- He maintains the necessary accounting and reporting documentation.
- He timely brings offices equipment for repair.
- He carries out an inventory of patients’ clothes.
- He transfers clothes and things for disinfection and in a storage room.
- He stores clothes for patients before transfer to the storage room.
- He inspects the patient and clothing for lice.
- If an infectious disease is suspected, when pediculosis is detected, the patient is treated, as well as disinfection of the unit in accordance with the applicable instructions is conducted.
- He systematically improves his qualifications by attending classes and conferences organized for nursing staff at the hospital and in the department.